- 1 The Causes and Symptoms of Estrogen Reduction
- 2 Symptoms associated with Estrogen Deficiency
- 3 Form release of the drug Clomid
- 4 Indications for use of Clomid
- 5 How to Take Clomid?
- 6 How to determine if Clomid is Effective?
- 7 Contraindications to Taking Clomid
- 8 Side Effects of the drug Clomid
- 9 Special Instructions, which concern the drug Clomid
How does Clomid work? Clomid contains the main active substance – clomiphene, which blocks receptors that perceive estrogens in the hypothalamus (the brain region that controls the hormonal background of the body). As a result – it increases the production of gonadotropins (FSH and LH), which activate the maturation and endocrine (endocrine) function of the follicle in the ovary. As a result of all the above processes, the use of Clomid medication leads to a significant increase in estradiol levels in the blood.
The Causes and Symptoms of Estrogen Reduction
1. The main reason that the level of estrogen in the blood of a woman decreases is the inadequate activity of the ovaries that produce them. As the body ages, there is also a deficit. An important cause can be various pathological changes on the part of the pituitary gland.
2. Sometimes there is a decline in the level of estrogen in women who engage in professional sports, when physical exertion on the body is excessive. This phenomenon arises from the fact that testosterone (a male hormone) is being intensively produced.
3. Another important point is the presence or absence of adipose tissue. It is proved that estrogens are produced by fat cells. This means that exhaustion or sudden weight loss is extremely dangerous for the female body, namely for its reproductive capacity.
Symptoms associated with Estrogen Deficiency
In adolescence, the lack of estrogen leads to inadequate development of secondary sexual characteristics, a decrease in the size of the uterus, late attack and malfunctions in the menstrual cycle.
In the reproductive age, a decrease in the level of estrogen provokes a decrease in sexual desire, sharp mood swings, various violations of duration and other indicators of the menstrual cycle. At the same time, memory, working capacity decreases, insomnia appears and skin condition worsens (its elasticity, color, turgor). On the skin appear stretch marks, pigmentation, inflammatory eruptions. There may be female infertility and dysfunctional uterine bleeding.
Form release of the drug Clomid
Indications for use of Clomid
According to the instructions for the use of the drug, it is prescribed under such conditions:
- infertility, provoked by the lack of ovulation;
- galactorrhea – spontaneous abnormal flow of milk from the breast, which is not associated with the feeding of the child and occurs as a result of pituitary neoplasms;
amenorrhea – prolonged absence of menstruation;
- dysfunctional uterine bleeding (metrorrhagia);
- androgen insufficiency (hypogonadism) – insufficient production of steroid hormones by the sex glands;
- polycystic ovary;
- oligospermia in men, a condition in which the quality and activity of spermatozoa decreases;
- disruption of the pituitary gland.
How to Take Clomid?
Schemes of drug use are different and depend on pathology. As indicated in the instructions for the use of the drug, to stimulate the ovulation process, Clomid is administered at a dose of 50 milligrams, once a day, at bedtime. The course of taking the drug begins on the fifth day of the menstrual cycle and lasts five days. In those situations when menstruation is not at all, you can start taking the drug at any time, appointed by the doctor.
In case of ineffectiveness and absence of ovulation, the dose of Clomid can be increased to 150 milligrams per day, or the treatment can be prolonged up to ten days. There is a special indication in the instruction that says that the total course dose of the medicine should not exceed 1 gram.
How to determine if Clomid is Effective?
It is necessary to determine the presence of ovulation. For this, there are several fairly simple techniques that a woman can perform herself at home. This is a temperature method or measurement of basal temperature, a method of tests for ovulation. In addition, the levels of hormones (luteinizing, progesterone, etc.) are determined.
In those cases when the menstrual cycle is normal, but pregnancy does not occur, it is recommended to repeat the course of taking this drug in the same therapeutic dosage.
Contraindications to Taking Clomid
- Insufficiency of renal or hepatic, which is associated with the way of excretion of the drug.
- Neoplasm of genitals.
- Uterine bleeding of unknown etiology.
- Inflammation of the inner layer of the uterus (endometriosis).
- Neoplasm or decreased pituitary function.
- Insufficiency of the ovaries against the background of increased prolactin levels in the blood.
- Ovarian cyst.
Side Effects of the drug Clomid
During the reception of Clomid, a variety of manifestations may appear on the part of the internal organs.
- vasomotor disorders,
- allergic dermatitis,
- rarely – rashes.
Manifestations from the nervous system:
- slowing down the speed of motor and mental reactions.
Possible manifestations of the genitourinary system:
- an increase in the size of the ovary,
- cystic ovarian changes,
- frequent urination,
- the occurrence of pain in the abdomen.
Other possible adverse reactions include:
- “tides” of blood to the face,
- alopecia (hair loss),
- chest pain (mammary glands),
- decreased visual acuity,
- weight gain.
Special Instructions, which concern the drug Clomid
Admission of this drug increases the likelihood of multiple pregnancy.
The development of the effective action of the drug is possible only if there is a sufficient amount of own estrogens in the patient. The lower their level, the less effective Clomid.
Treatment with anti-estrogen drugs, as well as any other, should occur under the close supervision of a gynecologist. Periodically, the definition of the functioning of the ovaries and other special examinations, including vaginal.
During the course of therapeutic treatment Clomid is recommended to take special care when working with mechanisms that carry a potential danger, and when driving a car.